What is Bullying?
Bullying is when someone intentionally does or says something to hurt another person. This behaviour is often repetitive and deliberate.
Bullying can take many forms such as:
- Physical Bullying - Hitting, slapping, shoving, tripping, spitting, throwing objects, blocking someone’s path; damaging, stealing or withholding someone’s property
- Verbal Bullying - Insults, teasing, racism, threats, hurtful jokes
- Social Bullying - Excluding someone from an activity or group, ignoring someone, talking about someone negatively behind their back, spreading rumours
- Cyberbullying - Using technology such as cell phones and the internet to blackmail, threaten, intimidate, insult, spread rumours, post private/humiliating images or videos
Recognize the Signs
Warning signs that someone is being bullied can include:
- Withdrawal from activities
- Unexplained injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Biological symptoms – pain, decreased appetite, difficulty sleeping
- Signs of depression or anxiety
Protect Yourself & Others
Everyone has a role to play in stopping bullying. Choose not to ignore it, take a stand, and report bullying to police or a school official. Students attending school in Surrey can report bullying anonymously at www.psst-bc.ca. Crimes such as assault or threats should be reported to the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502.
Use the Gawk-Talk-Walk-Block approach:
- Gawk - Show confident body language by being calm, standing up tall, and making eye contact with the bully.
- Talk – Tell the bully that what they are doing bothers you.
- Walk – Walk away or end the chat/thread after you’ve stood your ground.
- Block – Plan safe routes, avoid unsupervised areas, and choose not to associate with bullies.
Remember – it gets better.
The Surrey RCMP Youth Unit championed a video sharing the stories of police officers – their fears, struggles and how it got better for them. View the "It Gets Better" video.
- Youth in BC
- ERASE Bullying
- RCMP Centre for Youth Crime Prevention
- WITS Program
- Kids Help Phone
- Stop A Bully
- Date modified: